Saturday, May 10, 2008

Meet the travellers

Working groups


Editorial team: Kemi, Melanie, Mindy, Fabian and Maxine

Video team: Aron, Linda, Miriam, Khairie and Bats

Photography team: Kathleen and Anthea

Cultural team: Ethan, Max and Feeza

Blog maintenance: Femmy, Sulyn and Sue-Ann







The travellers


Nurina Malinda


I am an energetic person who loves to meet new people. I have passion for film making, that's why I'm part of the video team for this trip. Born and raised in Indonesia, I have been living in Malaysia for three years and now it’s time for Cambodia!

I want to pursue a career as a film maker and scriptwriter. I've been involved in a couple of short films and a documentary about my hometown, Jogjakarta for the 2009 study trip. On last year's study trip to the Philippines, I helped Aron Raj make his Kadhal Sagada comedy movie.

I will be leaving Malaysia for good after the Cambodia trip… huhu…so sad… I will miss this place, the roti canai, the rock climbing gym at Summit and my friends and housemates who have been there for me, for better for worse.







Mindy Wong


Mindy is a fountain of creativity,
Impulse is her reason.
Night time sparks her senses,
Day time spent fruitfully in Cambodia:
Youthful with colliding cultures crafts and cravings.

Inclined to observe,
Norm to speak a mixture of languages:

Can you tell me where is…
Angkor Wat?
Mes amis et moi pense que… (My friends and I think that...)
Beh sai ga gi luan zhu zao (Shouldn't roam about on your own)
Oh no! Yao shi mi lu le, (Oh no! If you are lost,)
Dai sceng ngai "Gao Meng!" (Loudly scream for "Help!")
Ikut Dr Yeoh ke Siem Reap for (Follow Dr Yeoh to Siem Reap for)
A rojak Malay, Cantonese, Mandarin, Hokkien, English and French!





Miriam Gubovicova
My friends and family describe me as a "forever student".
I have to admit I enjoy university life, sometimes too much. I can't wait to go Cambodia as I'm passionate about discovering new corners on this tiny Earth. I'm excited to experience a new culture once again.

The last time I was this excited was when I came to Malaysia three years ago for a holiday. I never left! Someone once labeled me a confused world resident. Even though I will always call Slovakia home, I am pretty much settled here in Kuala Lumpur and loving it!

One of my hobbies are observing people. The different ways they behave and react fascinates me. So if you notice me staring, I apologize, I'm just observing. You'd most likely find me in my room with a good cup of coffee and a book. That explains why I got a new bookshelf for my birthday. If I'm not at home then I'm probably running between PJ, Sunway and KL with my friends. I can't wait to meet more people in Cambodia!








Fabian Klavert


Hi everyone! Fabian here. I'm a first year, second semester Psychology major. I'm an Indonesian from Jakarta. People tend to mistake me for being from Sabah, Kuala Lumpur, Manila or other cities.

As a part of the editorial team for this trip, I hope to help with stories and to learn from other writers. Cambodia is going to be awesome - its culture, people, history, architecture, everything! I feel exciting just writing this!

One of the things I want to accomplish in Cambodia, particularly at the Angkor wat, is to take jumping shots. I think these shots are , by far, one of the coolest things to do. I mean seriously, how many people can say that they've taken jump shots with Angkor Wat as a backdrop? I'd like to say I have.





Femmy Lais
As a final year student, I would like to have a memorable moment with my peers before graduating. Cambodia will be an interesting place for me to visit before I embark on another journey. In fact, Cambodia will be a challenge for me to be a fast-learner.

I love nature but I hate jungle trekking. I love sand, surf and sea. I prefer to spend my holiday in the coastal areas. I don't talk very much but I do like to socialize. Personally, to get involve in the Malaysia entertainment industry it is something wow! Although the glamorous lifestyle is not something you should be proud of.

Above of all, I am very proud to be an Indonesian woman and yet, I still want to learn more about Malaysian culture.









Melanie Chalil


Melanie is a funny, cheerful and wacky girl. She's approachable, easy to work and a lot of fun to be around. She's an open minded person, straight forward and generous with her words and actions. Definitely someone you would always think of when it comes to work and fun!

A little known fact about Melanie is that she would jump for the stars when she sees a cockroach. Melanie is also fond of certain F-words. With her you'll never stop laughing because every time she laughs it turns in to a pandemic illness!






Feeza Ashruff

Feeza is the ultimate life-saver, well, for Melanie at least.
Feeza has swung to action, rescuing her from blackouts the night before an assignment due date.

She can laugh at you and with you. Nothing less than a goofy personality is accepted.

In her free time, Feeza plays futsal and feeds her three geese in her backyard. On certain days, Melanie and Feeza drive side by side to campus, chatting through wound-down windows across their cars.









Chong Su Lyn


What truly amazes me from time to time again is how characteristically I am like a wild child of the 60s, with a little sugary boost of a Coke can. Hyperactive is a far cry from what I will describe myself as. I have a tendency to rebel against conformity but at the same time, I still conform to the natural norms of society.

Being able to take a ride to a wonderful place like Siem Reap, in Cambodia allows me to tick off one destination in my "Must see locations before I die" list. I hope to be able to garner as much education and information from this trip and give myself fresher eyes to see the world.

It will be an amazing journey. I believe it will be challenging as well, something truly wild to look forward to during the coming semester break. Cheers to all on board!





Mohammad Khairie

Beneath the calm exterior and carefree prance, Khairie is bursting with impatience to get out there, take over the world and rahrahrah! Future opponents take note of his weakness for sushi, glazed donuts and poker with fake money.

His musical talents include the perfect G note, the murky waters of boyband karaoke and screaming Meatloaf's excruciating I would do anything for love while manouvering the dangerous streets of Kuala Lumpur.









Chua Sue-Ann




Sue-Ann dreads writing these descriptions.

I am the eggman, they are the eggman, I am the walrus.

In another thirty-something word biodata; she is an aspiring journalist, she loves photography, great ideas, strange things and mojitos.

She is trying her darndest to smile more and wear colours.






Anthea Haryoko
Hullo! I am a first year, second semester student at Monash and this is my first study trip. Being an avid lover of travel and photography, Cambodia is a fantastic place for me to indulge in both passions. My task on this trip is to take awesome photos and to share our experience of the amazing culture and people we will meet in Cambodia. I believe it's always important to keep an open mind and just go where the wind takes you.

I am always in search of fun and laughter. I adore the outdoors and exploring new and exciting places. As my friends can testify, I can also be easily bribed with copious amounts of chocolate, popcorn and cake :)

I have yet to figure out my plans after graduation but I trust that something will come my way.
I only request of you not to ask where I am from as it may take too much of your time. Hehe. Perhaps I shall explain it to you over a cup of tea and cake.









Aaron Raj


Hello people, I’m Aaron Raj. I can say that I am the most experienced person in the group when it comes to film-making. Making films is my passion. I was chief videographer during the previous study trip to the Philippines. There I made a documentary about our journey and a couple of short films.

In Cambodia, I shall be leading the video team again. Filming at the Angkor Wat is one of the main reasons I am going for this trip. Hopefully, I will be able to experience and capture the true beauty of Cambodia.

I find it very hard to describe myself. But I guess I am just like everyone else. We are all special in our own ways and we have our own talents. Maybe the Cambodia trip will help me discover things about myself and my friends. I am ready for Cambodia and I hope Cambodia is ready for me.





Ethan Lim
Ethan was born out of a rock and became a flower at the tender age of sixteen. Traveling up the wall, reaching for the roof; he waters himself daily, covers himself with fertilizer and makes sure he gets enough sunlight to grow. And grow he did, into a beautiful butterfly!

The butterfly stares at victims with its beady eyes, watching them go about their daily business. It snares its prey through its wings and unhinges its jaws to swallow the prey whole. The food is then digested through acids and screams for mercy as its skin slowly dissolves into a massive pulp of flesh.

What a pretty butterfly! *floats away*








Maxine Lim


M-ust
A-nticipate
X-tra
I-nsane
N-ew
E-xploits

L-oves
I-nteresting
M-usic

J-ust
E-nough
N-ormal

A-lways
I-n search of adventure

Maxine Lim Jen Ai, looking forward to meeting you!






Kemi Harahap

Looks may be deceiving, the same applies to Kemi. Although she holds an Indonesian passport, Kemi would rather be known as a global citizen. Born in Australia and having lived in almost all the continents except Africa and Antarctica, this dudette has a passion for thrift-shopping at the nearest night market, capturing random moments with her trusty camera and traveling to exotic places.

Kemi can be found lounging at the nearest coffee shop with an pen and ipod in her hands, listening to wacky indie tunes while stirring up a poem or two. Alternatively, she is chased by deadlines while managing the school magazine.

Cambodia, her next conquest, will prove to be an interesting and challenging experience.








Max Tan




Max is a person who like to entertain and to be entertained.

He entertains his college buddies with lame jokes when he feels sunny.

When he feels cloudy, he goes to the street to observe people.

He is never bored of doing this because everyone is unique.












Bats Mohsinali
Okay, so I'm from nowhere. Believe me, I'm friggin' confused about my nationality so I call myself a Srilindo or Sri Lankan-Indonesian. I of Sri Lankan descent but born and raised in Jakarta.

My special powers include being the amazing ability to SMS in my sleep!

I hope to achieve a lot in Cambodia from awesome jumping shots in front of the Angkor Wat to finding new perspectives in life!

So here's to Cambodia. Cheers!









Kathleen Tan


"Often living in a world, she:
Embraces the imaginary
Accepts the extraordinary
Believes in the impossible



She was christened Kathleen, but she goes by Kat.
A hopeful Arts graduate, with a roller-coaster interest in people and the world.
Forming one quarter of the Siem Reap Photo team, she's somewhat handy with a camera but reluctantly admits she's probably handier with a pen.



She's not exactly the best there is at anything.....
But she's always willing to learn.



Possessed by an insatiable wanderlust, but restrained by the lack of funds,
She hopes this trip will only be the start of many.



First stop... Siem Reap.
Next... the world...."







Our student guides


We are privileged to have five local student guides to introduce us to Cambodia. They are History students from the Royal University of Phnom Penh, Cambodia's leading public university. Our student guides are well-versed in Cambodia's history, society, culture and the wonders of Angkor Wat. We're looking forward to meeting them and sharing the journey.


Bunneth Siek
My name is Bunneth and I am from Kandal. I am a recently graduated student from the Royal University of Phnom Penh, majoring in History.

I am so happy to meet new people, especially students from Malaysia. This will be my first time as a student guide to foreigners who are visiting Siem Reap, the most famous province which attracts many tourists. I wish our friendship will last forever.




Hak Bona
I am a second year student at the Royal University of Phnom Penh and I joined this study trip because I wanted to gain first hand experience about a culture other than my own, as well as to find out about their daily lives. I am interested to know more about Monash University students so that I have many stories to tell my friends.

I enjoy watching television and I prefer cartoons rather than movies because the characters never die. My favourite cartoon is Tom and Jerry because it is funny. I also like to watch sports programs, such as running, wrestling and swimming. I love to joke with my friends.





Kosal Din
I am a third year student at the Royal University of Phnom Penh and I am interested to get to know Monash University students from Malaysia and Indonesia. Through the exchange in conversations with them, I am able to learn about their cultural backgrounds and the current situation in Malaysia, as well as improve my English pronunciations.

Siem Reap is my favourite province and I am excited about sharing my knowledge with the students about Cambodia, especially the history of Cambodia.


Borey Yin


Hello! My name is Borey, a student in my fourth year, majoring in History at the Royal University of Phnom Penh. I joined the study trip because I wanted to gain experience from foreign students and improve my English. I am so glad to be part of the study trip to Siem Reap with students from Monash University Malaysia.

My hobby is watching television, especially international news. I like to know about current events that occur around the world. In terms of food, I like Khmer, as well as Asian food.



Thach Sorn
I am a second year student at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, majoring in history. When I received the news that Monash University students were organizing a study trip to Cambodia, I was really happy. It would be my opportunity to get to know foreigners because I never had a conversation with foreigners, partly due to my difficulties with speaking in English.

I admire all of the students because they are young and have encountered vast experiences.

This study trip will allow me to compare my personal experience of Siem Reap with how I imagined the place would be like. In particular, I have always wanted to visit Angkor Wat.





Our pathfinders



Dr Yeoh Seng Guan


I have been organizing study trips like this for Monash since 2004 and the excitement of travel, especially with energetic, curious and talented students, hasn’t worn out yet!

This is my second trip to Cambodia, and I hope to cover the remaining vast temple complex of Angkor Wat.









Melissa Wong


Hi I'm Melissa. Currently pursuing my Masters of Arts, my research project is "A Historical and Visual Study of Nationalism in Contemporary Malaysia 1957-2009".

I am interested in church history and Korean language and I'm taking classes for both. I like the idea of travelling although I haven't really travelled much except to Australia, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore and Sarawak. Cambodia will be added to the list soon.

It's a great thing to be able to travel and learn with young people my age - to have fun with each other and see the realities of other cultures and customs. It's going to be a great experience!

2 comments:

fillip said...

Interesting bunch of characters. Nice to be young, slightly reckless and always cheerful.

Life's an adventure. Learn to enjoy it even if the sun is getting to you.

Just think of the millions of people who want to visit Cambodia but don't have the opportunity.

Twenty years from now, you will remember these times with great fondness.

Perform ordinary duties in extraordinary ways. Go for it.

P.S. In the end, nobody really cares how university degrees you have, but they will always remember what a nice person you are.

Feeza Ashruff said...

yeay maxine's dad..!!
i totally agree.!